Wednesday 23 November 2011

changes

I keep thinking about the library at the Michelangelo school of art, where I did the workshops last week.
It was a rather pathetic collection of literature , which furnished the shelves; Science books from 1954 , donated by an American College, a pile of yellow coloured newspapers, which I thought were used to cover the tables, in case of some art activities. Later I learned that they were used for reference, a way for the students to look up things which happened seven years ago. Mr. M. proudly showed me they also had ten bound annuals, in case  research in even more historical events was required. I saw a few art-books, with black and white illustrations, a lot concerned Vermeer, Hyronymus Bosch, and Rembrandt.I asked why they possessed so many irrelevant books. Mr. K. told me that it was a formality, so that the shelves would not be empty, and also, a gift could not be rejected; that would be considered rude.
Later i was talking about it with a friend, and we thought of this brilliant idea : A book for a book !
Because there seems to be the tendency to hold on to everything you have got, simply, because to own something is better than nothing, useful space was cluttered up by useless materilals. If they would give me a book, I will return a book . I will start a book donation back home at the university; If everybody would give one book from their art-book collection, and perhaps the library has some redundant examplars,Then the next time I will be back in Uganda, in March, when I will be doing work with the new students, I can present them with a new art book collection !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment